From Medicine to Education…
The story of the Jackson Foundation begins in a tiny office above a storefront on Main Street. A young doctor from South Pittsburgh, Tennessee named L.C. Jackson joined the Dickson community to open a one-room medical clinic. The newly licensed physician quickly realized he needed help to maintain the level of care he wanted for his patients. So, After World War II, Dr. Jackson called on his physician brothers, Dr. William and Dr. Jimmy Jackson, to join him in caring for the Dickson Community.
The Jackson Family Practice was born to serve not only the needs of the Dickson Community, but also those of the surrounding counties of Hickman and Humphreys.
In 1958, the Jacksons built Goodlark Hospital. Maintaining the brothers’ high standards for exceptional health care, the hospital grew to become Goodlark Regional Medical Center, one of the finest health care facilities in the mid-state area. Over the years, Goodlark grew to meet the rising demands of the area.
In 1995, the medical center sold to Columbia/HCA. The Jackson Foundation, Inc. was established from the proceeds of the sale. Dr. Jimmy Jackson, youngest of the brothers, was first chairman of the Foundation. Before his death in 2001, Dr. Jackson witnessed the completion of The Renaissance Center, a multi-million dollar art, technology and education center. His son, Douglas Jackson, continues to serve as the of the Foundation’s president and executive director.
In November 2013, The Jackson Foundation transferred ownership of The Renaissance Center to Freed-Hardeman University. The historic agreement became the largest gift in the university’s 144-year history.